Spirit in the Desert is located on over 7 scenic acres in Carefree, Arizona, USA, nestled in the foothills of the High Sonoran Desert. The retreat center is approximately 45 minutes north of Sky Harbor International Airport, Phoenix and 30 minutes north of downtown Scottsdale, Arizona.
Going North on Interstate 1-17 from Phoenix, Arizona:
- Turn right at the Carefree Highway exit number 223 (Hwy 74)
- Continue East approximately 13 miles to Scottsdale Road
- Turn left, (Scottsdale Road changes to Tom Darlington Road)
- Turn right onto Bloody Basin Road
- Turn left at the stop sign onto Sidewinder, which, at the bend, becomes Elbow Bend Rd
- Keep to the right on Elbow Bend and look for the Spirit in the Desert Retreat Center sign.
From Sky Harbor Airport
- From the airport take the exits marked “West Exits’ and follow signs for Highway 51.
- Head north (only option) for 16 miles and take the Hwy 101 East exit.
- Drive east for 3.5 miles and exit at Scottsdale Road and turn left (north). There are two turning lanes.
- Stay on Scottsdale Road for 11 miles. (As you come into Carefree the speed limit drops to 35 mph. A word to the wise … the sheriff likes hanging out in Carefree.)
- Turn right (only option) on Bloody Basin Road.
- At the stop sign, turn left onto Elbow Bend / Sidewinder
- The entrance to Spirit in the Desert Retreat Center is just around the bend on your right hand side.
Call the Center 480.488.5218 if you have any problems