Spirit in the Desert … a Place for All People
Have a Closer Look at Spirit in the Desert
Learn More About Us
Spirit in the Desert is a peaceful retreat center set among the striking Sonoran desert landscape. View our well-equipped facility and learn about our mission and vision for the future.
Worship with Us
The Spirit in the Desert offers more than space for retreats … come and enjoy our Guided Meditations, listen to the Touchpoints and learn more about our weekly Worship Sessions.
Plan Your Stay
Whether you come for the day, are planning a personal retreat, or considering an overnight stay, here’s the information you’ll need to plan your next visit.
Take a Tour of Spirit in the Desert
with Executive Director, Richard Andersen
Follow Us on Social Media
- Braveheart Wellness Retreat in Carefree Arizona http://www.baniaello.com/retreat-to-carefree-arizona-march-2018/
Carefree Arizona Shopping & Sunshine. Yoga & Mindfulness along with Free Time to explore the desert.
- Speaking the Word Freely Preaching/Teaching workshop still has several spaces open and several Scholarships. Have time on Jan 23-25 for a workshop that will give you the tools you need to be an inspiring and effective preacher/teacher/speaker? This method is ...
- Photos from Spirit in the Desert Retreat Center's post Speaking the Word Freely
This is a powerful tool to learn how to speak/teach/preach ... whatever your profession that has you doing a lot of public speaking, this workshop is for YOU!
Spirit in the Desert Retreat Center added 2 ...
- Retreat to Carefree Arizona Spirit in the Desert Welcomes a new retreat!
Braveheart Wellness Retreat March 20-25, 2018
Men and Women join us this winter in sunny Carefree, Arizona for this mega-fun Holistic Wellness Retreat full of Walks through the Red Rock, Yoga, Mindful ...
- Retreat to Carefree Arizona We want to promote a wonderful retreat coming up at Spirit in the Desert: Braveheart Wellness Retreat March 20-25, 2018
Men and Women join us this winter in sunny Carefree, Arizona for this mega-fun Holistic Wellness Retreat full of Walks ...
- Photos from Spirit in the Desert Retreat Center's post Spirit in the Desert is in the Sonoran Desert, a place of beauty beyond what folks think is in the desert--like sand! These pictures are from the Safford AZ area-the edge of the Sonoran Desert and start of the Chihuahua ...
- Photos from Spirit in the Desert Retreat Center's post Just plugging into your day with some Sonoran Desert beauty we get to see so often here at Spirit in the Desert Retreat Center! Come and relax with us and bring your camera, you won't be disappointed!
Spirit in the ...
- Photos from Spirit in the Desert Retreat Center's post Recently attended the Cave Creek Christmas Pageant at Spur Cross Ranch ... what an inspiring evening for all! For over 60 years this pageant has thrilled folks in our area with the songs of Christmas and the beauty of the ...
- Photos from Spirit in the Desert Retreat Center's post Spirit in the Desert says "Kuddos to you, Bettye Olson, for your years of artistry and sharing your talents with the world! We hope your book inspires many people to read about your life, your faith, your determination, and always ...
- Reformation Eve Celebration Worship Don't miss this wonderful evening of worship, and with good wine and cheese and fellowship too!
Join us for an evening of celebrative worship in honor of the 500th Anniversary of the Reformation! We will sing great hymns of heritage, ...
- Reformation Eve Celebration Worship Join us for an evening of celebrative worship in honor of the 500th Anniversary of the Reformation! We will sing great hymns of heritage, and enjoy beautiful music from solists, choirs, and bell choir. Christ the Lord Lutheran in Cave ...
- Lutherhostel - 5 Day Retreat Lutherhostel is now in its 21st year and our signature retreat! People from all over the USA come for a week of learning, exploration, and a whole lot of fun, fellowship, good food, and retreat time in the beautiful Sonoran ...
- Photos from Spirit in the Desert Retreat Center's post New "interior updates" at Spirit in the Desert. We're busy with painting, designing, new bedspreads, furniture, beautiful artwork and photograph...here's a few new pics from our campus!
Spirit in the Desert Retreat Center added 6 new photos.
- Photos from Spirit in the Desert Retreat Center's post Independence Day at Spirit in the Desert! It was a JOY to partner with Sue Bickerdyke Interior Design and our local Foothills Caring Corp and bring an "all American dinner & Patriotic Sing-A-Long" to our community! Caring Corp volunteers drove ...
- Photos from Spirit in the Desert Retreat Center's post Here's a few photos of Fr. Lapsley from our gathering Thursday night.
Spirit in the Desert Retreat Center added 3 new photos.
- The Story of Father Michael Lapsley and the founding of the Institute for Healing of... Last night Fr. Michael Lapsley joined us in the evening for a meet and greet and to share his incredible journey from "freedom fighter to healer." Fr. Michael founded the Institute for the Healing of Memories, which is a global ...
- Boundless Compassion Retreat with Joyce Rupp Joyce Rupp is a world renown author and retreat leader. Her depth of wisdom and guidance on compassion, justice and mercy are sought after by people of all faiths, all backgrounds, all professions. This event is limited to 50 ... ...
- Photos from Spirit in the Desert Retreat Center's post A great time was had by all at our Wings Celebration at Faith Lutheran Church in Coon Rapids, MN. Our wonderful Wings volunteers with superb organizational skills, pulled off an evening of fun, food, fellowship and great drawings for some ...
- Timeline Photos Summers are beautiful at Spirit in the Desert! Experience the quiet and peace of our campus...individually or as a group. Families are welcome, too! Swim in our heated pool, soak in the hot tub, take comfort in the air-conditioned rooms ...
- Thank you for the beautiful visit today. Loved to see all the TLC that is being done.
Amanda 'Estrem' Gau added a new photo to Spirit in the Desert Retreat Center's timeline — with Phil Estrem.
- Pastors, worship leaders, musicians, bible study leaders, Sunday School teachers, parish nurses ... ALL those who work in the church and are just finishing a long Lent and busy Easter weekend and looking for that "aha moment break" -- check ...
Read Daily Devotions
Steve Holm, a retired pastor living in Tempe, provides daily meditations for Spirit’s website. Steve served at Desert Cross Lutheran Church, Tempe, for 22 years. In the past he has provided meditations for Advent and Lenten illustrated devotional booklets. Now, we’re thankful that he’s providing these short devotions for visitors to the website.
Worship With Us
Every Wednesday at 3:00 p.m., Spirit in the Desert provides a mid-week oasis of meditation and Holy Communion for anyone on the campus of Spirit in the Desert and for people in the surrounding community. Each week a short homily — or Touchpoint — based on a Biblical story, is presented by Spirit in the Desert Faith Mentor, Jim Hanson.
The Book Store and Gift Shop at Spirit in the Desert is a resource for people on retreat, as well as for others from the local community. It is a book pantry of nourishing food for spirit and soul. Original greeting cards are available for all occasions with inspiring messages and which often include photos of the Southwest by Cyndy Warnier.
Show Your Support
Your financial support is crucial to Spirit in the Desert’s future. Each year over 4,000 guests and local community residents find renewal, reconciliation, healing and transformation through the ministry of Spirit in the Desert. We depend on the generosity of individuals and groups and value every gift, regardless of size, all of which are tax-deductible.
What Our Retreat Participants Say About Their Experience
My wife and I were guests at Spirit along with our family reunion. We want to express our compliments to the facility and our gratitude to the staff who were wonderful. All could not have been more pleasant, friendly, fun and at time, peaceful! It was the very best family Christmas ever.
I am so very appreciative of every thing that was done by the staff at Spirit to make our workshop session the best it could be. It was so apparent that “small miracles” were happening as the morning unfolded and, once again, I’m reminded that we are here to work God’s plan and not our own agenda. For all that Spirit did to make those miracles happen, I am grateful!
To all the Spirit Staff … front desk, housekeeping, kitchen, yard, program planning—however you define your role, you are all truly God’s servants in your ministry to all visitors … The Spirit of our God roams these buildings and landscape—you are blessed to work here and we are blessed when we come.