3rd Chapter of Life2018-01-31T17:22:43+00:00

Maybe you’ve just retired …
Perhaps you’re finished building your career …
Or, the children you’ve raised have left the nest …

Each of these scenarios represents a transitional period in life, the start of a new chapter – the 3rd Chapter – in your life’s journey.

You might find yourself asking, “What’s Next?”  Now is the time to write your 3rd Chapter of Life.

This period of transition, as roles and responsibilities shift, offers both opportunities and challenges. It can be a time to broaden our vision and renew our calling from God, identifying the meaning and purpose of our lives apart from careers and family roles.

The focus of the 3rd Chapter of Life ministry at Spirit in the Desert Retreat Center is on growing whole, not old.

This transition also can trigger feelings of loneliness and significantly raises the risk of depression. In fact, retirement may increase your risk of clinical depression by 40 percent while raising your chances of being diagnosed with a physical condition by 60 percent.  Retirement increases the chance for alcohol and drug abuse primarily because of sense of loss of meaning and purpose. Spirit in the Desert Retreat Center established the 3rd Chapter of Life ministry as our signature programmatic focus. Inspiring retreats help people renew their callings from God, giving them the meaning and purpose they need to live purposeful, significant and happy lives during this exciting leg of life’s journey.

View the 3rd Chapter of Life Events Calendar at Spirit in the Desert Retreat Center

Why are you interested in the 3rd Chapter of Life ministry?

Because God is calling God’s people to make a difference in this creation throughout their entire life. The gift of years that come in the 3rd Chapter, provides wisdom, insight, time and knowledge that is unique to this time of life.

Read a great 3rd Chapter of Life story

Written by Pastor John Schaumburg, learn how he discovered a call from God with “Project Healing Waters Fly Fishing.”  The project is dedicated to the physical and emotional rehabilitation of disabled active military service personnel and disabled veterans through fly fishing and associated activities including education and outings.

Why is Spirit in the Desert committed to this ministry?

God is calling us to accompany, equip and encourage people in their 3rd Chapter to live well as whole people of God with meaning and purpose.  The opportunity is to focus on Growing Whole as we age.  Research verifies that you can live happier, longer with a strong sense of meaning & purpose.

Resources for 3rd Chapter of Life program

This Annotated Bibliography is a summary of the printed and electronic resources that have to this point, been the most valuable in our research.  Many of these resources, and more, are available in our onsite bookstore as well.